1. Her heart broke, and she went all “mush” — at a complete loss for what to say or do.
2. She kept her cool and said the party line, “You are built just perfect – strong and healthy.”
3. She got really serious, shooed her other kids away, shut the door, and had a face-to-face talk with her daughter about all of the amazing things her body and mind can do besides look “thin” to other 7-year-old girls who had called her “kind of fat.”
4. She felt desperate, telling her daughter that everyone thinks she’s “beautiful” — and that she and her friends must therefore be wrong about her looks.
5. She felt angry and judgmental about the other girls and their mothers — what kind of messages were they sending out into the world? How could they wound her daughter’s self-esteem like this?
6. She stripped off her clothes (her daughter was already naked) and did a crazy, happy dance in the mirror, shaking everything she had and improvising a song along the lines of “we are perfect just the way we are.”
7. All of the above.
Photo courtesy of lori.e.burleson
You can be the first to comment!